From: "Dennis Lovelady" iseries@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 13:09:24 -0500
To: "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Scanning a STMF for a string

So basically you are looking for foo=" and then want to take the next
20
characters that is then followed by " or the Quotes is only there for
the example. It that case you are looking for foo= and want the next
20
characters to then write to a data area. I don't think any generic
string command will do that. You will have to roll your own.

Looking for <string> where line contains foo="<string>"

STR=$(sed -n 's/foo="\(.*\)"/\1/p')

That will put the value in STR within your shell script... but not sure how
you would get it into a data area.

Dennis Lovelady
"You don't seem to realize that a poor person who is unhappy is in a better
position than a rich person who is unhappy. Because the poor person has
hope. He thinks money would help."
-- Jean Kerr