Is SQL cursor processing in play?
For example:

exec sql declare ALLFILES cursor for
SELECT 'LIB1' AS LIBRARY,A.* FROM LIB1/FILEA A
UNION ALL
SELECT 'LIB2' AS LIBRARY,A.* FROM LIB2/FILEA A
UNION ALL
SELECT 'LIB3' AS LIBRARY,A.* FROM LIB3/FILEA A
ORDER BY USER_NUMBER, LIBRARY;
exec sql open ALLFILES;
exec sql fetch ALLFILES into :recordStructureIncludingLibraryName;
while (sqlca.sqlcode > -1 && sqlca.sqlcode != 100)
{
... process data in recordStructureIncludingLibraryName ...
exec sql fetch ALLFILES into :recordStructureIncludingLibraryName;
}

The ORDER BY will ensure sequencing you desire and cursor processing is very
much like what you're used to with RLA.
BTW, I believe the Union limit may have been 32 on older releases and 256 on
newer releases, but you should be able to verify that in the 'maximum
capacities' IBM whitebook.

Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i, i5/OS and
OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com