Rick,

Not only will the number of records affect what the optimizer does,
but the memory and CPU make a difference as well. I assume your
production box is bigger than your development box. Lastly, the
workload and thus the _available_ memory make a difference as well!

Unless you duplicate the hardware and workload to another environment,
running VE on the production box is the only real way to tell what's
going on with a query in production.

If your ops/admin team understands VE (or they want to learn it as the
know the other performance tools) then perhaps you don't need VE on
the production box. But if your ops/admin team don't know VE and
don't usually mess with the other performance tools, then perhaps you
should be the one using VE.

HTH,
Charles