You're reading the message wrong. The message is coming from a program named 'bsh' (An AIX command for running the Bourne shell. Documented here: http://tinyurl.com/mcucjo )

Anyway, bsh is what's running and issuing the message. It's NOT (as you seem to think) saying that bsh isn't found. Instead, it's saying that BSH is running, and sending you a message.

The message that BSH is sending you is "mcbell4: not found"

I don't understand why you're getting this, as your command name seems to specify mcbell4 as the HOST name, not part of the command. I wonder if perhaps you specified it twice? (You didn't in the e-mail, but perhaps when you actually did it you said this?

plink -v -ssh mcbell4 mcbell4 system dspneta

That would explain the error.

But in any case, for some reason it seems to be passing mcbell4 as a command name to run on the system, and the bsh program can't find a command named mcbell4.

hockchai Lim wrote:
I'm getting a bsh error when I try to use PUTTY's plink command to execute a DSPNETA command on iseries. From the log, it seems like plink is trying to start the bash shell and is not able to do so on iseries. Does anyone know if I need to do some kind of setup in iseries for this to work? Thanks

Below is the verbose from plink (Notice the 3rd line on from the bottom says "bsh: mcbell4: not found":

C:\DOCUME~1\LIM~1.HOC>plink -v -ssh mcbell4 system "dspneta"
Looking up host "mcbell4"
Connecting to 10.100.50.14 port 22
Server version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.5p1
Using SSH protocol version 2
We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Snapshot_2009_08_20:r8624
Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange
Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange with hash SHA-1
Host key fingerprint is:
ssh-rsa 2048 83:17:fb:bc:f5:1d:01:e4:5a:86:0d:9a:38:e3:c1:14
Initialised AES-256 CBC client->server encryption
Initialised HMAC-SHA1 client->server MAC algorithm
Initialised AES-256 CBC server->client encryption
Initialised HMAC-SHA1 server->client MAC algorithm
Reading private key file "C:\sshKey\PrivateKeylim.hock-chai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Using username "sshpub".
Offered public key
Offer of public key accepted
Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-20090911"
Access granted
Opened channel for session
Started a shell/command
bsh: mcbell4: not found