I definitely have no problem with you or anyone being an iSeries and PHP
advocate.

I feel the same way about .Net and the iSeries.

I was just pointing out that PHP isn't really an iSeries differentiator.

Look forward to seeing your recorded presentation.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
RJS Software Systems Inc.
"Get the information you need. Now!"
Document Management, Workflow, Report Delivery, Forms and Business
Intelligence
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: http://www.rjssoftware.com
Tel: (952) 736-5800
Fax: (952) 736-5801
Toll Free: (888) RJSSOFT

message: 1
date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 07:23:19 -0700
from: Tech Guru <techguru@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Take an active role in the future of IBM i

Jon will be happy you hold him in such high regard. ;-)

I don't think it's a conflict being a PHP advocate and an IBM i advocate
at
the same time. While PHP is not a platform specific language and this is
indeed a big plus for the IBM i developers who learn it, it still runs
on
the IBM i which is also a big deal. I don't want to get into a religious
discussion about the relative virtues of PHP, Java, and CGIDEV2 so I'll
keep
this short. In my experience, an RPG developer will go from not knowing
PHP
at all to being able to develop a production ready application using PHP
in
a MUCH shorter time than Java or even .NET (and without learning all the
ins
and outs of Object-Oriented programming). While CGIDEV2 is a great tool
and
paves the way for web development using RPG, it is not my tool of choice
specifically because it is platform dependent. If I am a master at
developing web-apps using CGIDEV2 I can't turn around and use that
knowledge
anywhere else. As you point out, in today's world that's not such a good
career move.

By the way, you have all motivated me to get off my backside and record
the
"Why PHP on IBM i" session that I gave at the Ocean Technical
Conference.
When it's available I'll send a link.

- Jeff

p.s. Jon, thanks again for the review on Amazon.