But even without the *OUTQ object, the spools should still be available from WRKSPLF and WRKJOB. It is not the output queue object which tracks the spool [database member], it is the pointer to that implementation object which is stored in the spool control block; an indexed portion of memory with a pointer and attribute map. If the path to the queue is a pointer to the *OUTQ object versus a name, then details about that assocation [versus job as association, or whatever grouping by WRKSPLF] would not be available; nothing that should prevent changing the spool file attributes, to place it on a valid\functional *OUTQ... and thus the control block being updated and visibility again on a WRKOUTQ request.

What really is most likely to cause loss of spool data is mucking around with the [objects in the, or the] QSPL#### libraries. Even if DLTOUTQ of an active *OUTQ were allowed, I believe it is generally recoverable. I believe a damaged output queue can be deleted, so the recoverability by CHGSPLFA to move an orphan spool file so it has an associated output queue is probably part of the design. I do not recall for sure, but I believe such spool files would go into a *OUTQ in QRCL#### for general recovery; i.e. manual recovery by CHGSPLFA for any spools _in_ a missing *OUTQ allows resolving instead of the longer reclaim request.

Regards, Chuck

Vern Hamberg wrote:
Makes sense, Pete, since spooled files are a kind of virtual entity, anyhow. They don't reside in OUTQs, they are members of physical files. The outqs are an abstraction, a way of presenting
what is contained in those PF members.

Whew, never quite looked at it this way before.

So the spooled files can't be lost by the system. They can if YOU, the customer, were able to delete an OUTQ, but we can't do that ourselves, as I recall.

Vern

Pete Massiello wrote:
I haven't lost a spool file during any upgrade to 6.1 (V6R1). Each *OUTQ is deleted and recreated during the installation of the OS, the only think I have noticed is the object changed date is updated.