Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but... you make it sound
like *ESCAPE is a bad thing. Can you explain?

Is it that you don't understand the purpose behind *ESCAPE?

I deliberately avoid divide-by-zero errors, but I deliberately code
*ESCAPE messages (probably the message type I use the *most*) on a
regular basis.

No, Scott, I know the purpose behind *ESCAPE. I'm just saying that for
someone who doesn't know the types of messages and what they do, and without
further explanation, a body might be led down the proverbial primrose path.

I use *ESCAPE messages (and monitor for them) throughout most of my
applications, and have had good success in doing so. SendEscape is present
as a separate procedure in my primary service program, and it is well used.
But if I didn't know the difference (and please forgive me if I
misunderstood the knowledge level of the originator) I might be surprised
when an *ESCAPE message causes my program(s) to object.

Makes sense, I hope?

Dennis Lovelady
"Because of our taping schedule, this show will take place three weeks after
you see it."
-- sportscaster Don Gillis