If I had to guess, I'd say go with SWA to tape. SWA or a regular save to
SAVF will likely hammer your disks & controller and may wind up being slower
than a save directly to tape. Then there's the added overhead of after
saving to SAVF, saving those SAVFs to tape. And while not a big problem,
that also complicates recovery in that there are extra steps to get the
SAVFs back on the system before BRMS can restore objects from them.

Since the performance is questionable, you could run some tests to compare
saving to SAVF then SAVF to tape v. straight to tape. This is one of those
places where YMMV.

Also, if your DASD usage grows over time, you may find yourselves running
out of room under the SAVF method.

FYI here we do a BRMS 21 equivalent once a month. Nightly we do 2 BRMS
SWAs: One for all production data libraries in their entirety and a second
that's just a save changed objects against everything else (with update
history=No). A full restore thus only needs the most recent monthly & the
most recent daily.