It looks like NSLOOKUP is using the host name and domain name from CFGTCP,
12 and trying to search DNS at that. And it's using IP address 0.0.0.0.
Now, maybe that's an IBM i internal thing that says to see if you have
your i configured as a DNS. Perhaps a check of iNav, Network, Server, DNS
to see if it is running. Repeat on both machines. I only use that on 1
of my 10 lpars. And it is on one that is in the DMZ. We traditionally
use windows platforms to serve DNS.

Then again, let's just get to the root of it.
Step 1: From your PC do the
c:>ipconfig /all
and write down all addresses appearing in "DNS Servers".

Step 2: On your i do a
CALL QCMD
PING '###.###.###.###'
of all addresses written down in step 1. CALL QCMD allows you to easier
see the ping results.

Step 3: For each address that was recorded in step 1 and successfully
pinged in step 2 add them to CFGTCP, 12 "Domain name server".

Step 4: Test NSLOOKUP PTF.BOULDER.IBM.COM again for each address you
added in step 3 with
NSLOOKUP HOSTNAME(ptf.boulder.ibm.com) DMNNAMSVR('10.17.4.180')
This will confirm that not only can you ping these DNS's but they are
actually serving DNS. Otherwise you'll get something like the return I
got when I put in my laptop for the DMNNAMSVR:
Hmm, time for a dcr to see if they can add an Escape message so I can test
the DNS? Much like
PING RMTSYS(X) MSGMODE(*QUIET *ESCAPE)