Still mixing terms I'm afraid.

DATABASE=LPAR or iASP=collection of schemas and associated objects
SCHEMA=COLLECTION=LIBRARY
TABLE=PHYSICAL FILE
VIEW=NON-KEYED LOGICAL FILE
INDEX=KEYED LOGICAL FILE

Note that for several releases System i has supported installing multiple
databases on the same system/LPAR by leveraging the iASP support. Run
WRKRDBDIRE to see what he's talking about. If you have iASPs installed, run
WRKCFGSTS *DEV *ASP to see corresponding iASP information.

I don't know what the original poster's background is, but if he came from
another platform, he really means database when he says database. On a
number of other platforms database is simply a stream file (with complicated
internal structure of course), install into a file system and a server can
have many databases installed simultaneously on it.
So, if OP is talking DB2 for i database, it's clear - either default LPAR or
iASP library.

If OP is talking a different database (i.e. mySQL), then IFS is a valid
option.

Then again, the OP may indeed simply mean schemas, in which case you're
correct of course.

Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i, i5/OS and
OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com