6.1 added Adaptive Code Generation (ACG), which allows programs created or converted on newer hardware to immediately leverage new features, without requiring a performance penalty when run on older hardware. No program conversion is required within a release when one moves programs from an older processor technology, e.g. POWER5, to a newer technology, like POWER6. One-time conversion is done if a program created or converted on a POWER6-based system is moved to a POWER5-based system running 6.1. The conversion occurs automatically when such a program is first called, if the conversion has not been done earlier, during restore or with a CHG* command.

Mark Waterbury previously referenced Redpaper REDP-4293, “i5/OS Program Conversion: Getting ready for i5/OS V6R1”, at http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/abstracts/redp4293.html. I highly recommend it for answering many questions about moving to 6.1 and for helping alleviate concerns. The Redpaper also includes information about ACG.

Some readers may also find this program conversion article helpful:
http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/february08/features/19247p1.aspx

CRPence wrote:

To complicate further, V6R1 non-POWER to V6R1 POWER may effect some implicit conversions to take advantage of POWER-specific features. Similarly for the reverse. There is no method of detection provided as from pre-V6R1 to V6R1+. Thus it is best to move to a POWER systems hardware for V6R1. AFaIK the implicit conversion will transpire irrespective of any system value or RSTxxx "force conversion" option settings.

Paul Godtland,
IBM i Licensed Internal Code development