From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kirk Goins
Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2009 12:56 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: running commands in restricted state -- will this work?

Pete Massiello wrote:
In all the times I have run RCLSTG *DBXREF (not a full RCLSTG, but just
rebuild the cross reference files) it only takes 5 to 10 minutes, and on
very very very small systems it might take 15 minutes.

I am wondering how you were able to run a RCLSTG (of any type) while not
being in a restricted state, could you share that. The startup program
runs
as an auto-start job from the controlling subsystem. Therefore, the
controlling subsystem would need to be started, and hence the system is
not
in a restricted state?

Another way is: You could have a shutdown program that was run from the
system console, with a delay of xx number of minutes/hours. Once the delay
is reached, ends all your jobs using your standard procedures, ends all
subsystems *IMMED, put another short delay in to allow for the system to
get
into restricted state, and then run your RCLSTG (*DBXREF or *ALL), and
then
either start your controlling subsystem or IPL the machine.

Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions
http://www.itechsol.com

Add iTech Solutions on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126431824120

Pete, earlier in this thread someone mentioned a parm on the ENDSBS cmd,
the Batch Time Limit which came alone at V5R3..
Batch time limit . . . . . . . . 5-9999 minutes, *NOMAX
The way this works is you submit your job to QCTL. That job does the
ENDSBS SBS(*ALL) Option(*IMMED) BCHTIMLMT (30) ( over how ever long you
need to complete the task at hand ) The system will go to a Restricted
State except for the call CL. In my testing I didn't get very fancy
looking for the message that the system was restricted I just put in a
DLYJOB that was long enough to cover the ENDSBS *ALL time. then issued
the RCLSTG. I tested a full RCLSTG, a *DBXREF and a Full system save
using the SAVSYS, SALIB *NONSYS, SAVDLO and SAV cmds.

Worked pretty slick