From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Trevor Perry
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 7:38 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: System Analysis Suggestions

Brian,

It seems like your system is not yet performing to its total capacity. When
you say it is running at 80% or 90%, that would seem to suggest that you
still have some 10% or 20% that could be used to handle your applications.
The CPU% being high is not a measure of good or bad performance.

So, what is it that you see that seems to be a performance problem? Is it
slower interactive response times? More performance spikes? How about longer
running batch jobs? I did not see any of those indicators in your other
emails.

While your system may be ~only~ a P10, there are many steps you can take to
balance your system to reduce interactive response times and remove
performance spikes, and improve throughput to make your system run more
efficiently and perform more work in your 80-90% CPU - and maybe let it run
at its full capacity of 100%.

There are also several work management settings that are probably set at a
shipped value that need to be changed. For example, the numbers of the
prestart QZDASOINIT jobs may be configured very low, and when a new job is
needed, the system has to spend some resources creating that new job. It is
typical that improving the settings for the prestart jobs means that the
system can handle that workload better and spend less time managing jobs,
and more time performing the work for the jobs.

Of course, this is a very small part of the entire work management
configuration for performance, and I think you were asking for help in
something that is very common - how to apply regular performance management
to get the most out of your server. I wrote a complete series of performance
articles for System i Network that will help you. Here are the links.
http://systeminetwork.com/article/out-box-tuning-performance-tuning-basics
http://systeminetwork.com/article/system-values-tuning
http://systeminetwork.com/article/subsystems-and-memory-pools
http://systeminetwork.com/article/work-management-configurations
http://systeminetwork.com/article/tuning-out-box-silver-bullet

Feel free to contact me offlist if you would like more details.
Trevor