Job descriptions, user profiles, routing entries are acceptable alternatives but still require a change to the program where the SBMJOB command is issued. Unless you create your own version of the command.

I think rerouting jobs "under the covers" is dangerous. What if, directly or indirectly, the job gets routed back the original job queue? The job could circle forever. And if your rerouting job is running at priority 10 then you may have to IPL the system in dedicated mode to fix it - if you can figure out what's wrong.

Albert

----- Original Message -----
From: "Evan Harris" <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Dividing jobs to diffrent job queue depending of job type
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 14:13:50 +1200

Hi Albert

This concept just struck me as "print distribution" for jobs.

As for the right place to determine the target job queue being the source I
couldn't disagree with you more. Job Description, User profile, Routing
Entry - anywhere but hardcoded into the source in my opinion. Just means
something as basic as routing to another job queue requires recompilation.

I understand about the surprise but I think that would happen once and if
you know the rules it makes everything much simpler - every program' SBMJOB
is the same, a much nicer situation.

I think the command exit is an overly complicated solution - the job
notification exit point strikes me as easily the best solution.

An added benefit of this is that you can tell the "job marshalling" program
to sleep during the backup or any other production blackouts - effectively
halting the submission of jobs to production queues - in a much simpler and
command driven way than an exit point approach would allow.

Regards
Evan Harris