sysdummy1 is a single-record table - intended for getting a single value in a SELECT. There is a physical file that serves the same function - QSQPTABL.

OP could have got a lot of information by googling on "sysdummy1" - one entry has this bit -

"The /sysibm.sysdummy1/ table is a special in-memory table that can be used to discover the value of DB2 registers as illustrated above."

On the i it is not an in-memory table, but that doesn't really matter.

Another google item says "...it was added to maintain consistency with DB2 for z/OS..."

From DB2 for z/OS -

"The SYSIBM.SYSDUMMY1 table contains one row. The table is used for SQL statements in which a table reference is required, but the contents of the table are not important."

Basically it and QSQPTABL are single-record files, and you can use them to get a result of an expression. Many functions require a single-row result set.

I use it to test things in interactive SQL. Maybe I want to know what happens when I work with some date expression - I'll use
SELECT current date - '1959-22-23-11.12.56.123456' from sysdummy1
to see what I'd get. VALUES can't be used in the interactive setting, although I'd probably use that or SET in a program.

As to which values you can get in VALUES - read the documentation! It's kind of weird, but it really is just a function that evalutates an expression and returns the result.

HTH
Vern

Michael Ryan wrote:
I don't think you're pulling anything from that table...it's just a
mechanism to enable you to do SQL things without really having data.