rob wrote:

I wouldn't blanket say you must leave any job queues associated with QCTL or QINTER running anymore than I would say you need to leave QBATCH running. They need to be studied. Now, I could never see a reason to hold QLPINSTALL. And doing a huge "hold 'em all" before a upgrade or ptf install can slap you silly. But even for that situation it would probably be save to hold the job queues associated with QCTL and QINTER.
Not everything goes through a queue.

Yeah, I mostly agree. Personally, I wasn't exactly worried about "ALL" jobqs as much I was about 'many' jobqs that may be used by the system as it starts TCP/IP and all the various servers, or possibly other considerations.

I've never actually tried to start a system with "ALL" jobqs held. I might have to try it just to see what happens (or doesn't happen).

I was trying to picture the two sides of it -- the HLDJOBQ [*ALL] side to bring things to a stop, as well as the possible eventual RLSJOBQ [*ALL] sometime after the system comes back up. Maybe the restart side isn't as important as long as someone is available to do it manually.

On either side, it still seemed reasonable that there could always be jobqs that shouldn't be held or shouldn't be released. And that had me wondering if "ALL" might really be a good idea under the circumstances.

Unfortunately, ENDSBS doesn't seem appropriate either. The issue of jobs starting when they shouldn't be run after the system comes back up is significant. One related possibility is CHGIPLA CLRJOBQ(*YES) in the UPS monitor program. I don't like that idea much, but it _might_ be appropriate. It might be nice if the parameter was HLDJOBQ(*USER) and jobqs had an attribute that kept system queues separated.

Every really useful idea I can think of involves creating a list of jobqs and processing the list. That's either by DSPOBJD *ALL/*ALL OBJTYPE(*JOBQ) to an outfile or by a call to QUSLOBJ. Then, apply possible filters to the list in order to handle exclusions. The list could be re-used after the system restarted.

But that approach was pretty explicitly out of the question.

Tom Liotta