From: Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:40:32 PM
Subject: Re: AS400 file with formulas into Excel

Are you outputting to a CSV file? Or are you writing to a POI interface? If it is the latter, I'd have to see some code to understand how you are writing to the cell. If it is the former, to my knowledge there isn't any way to write a formula to a cvs file that get "interpreted" into a formula.

Pete

Jeff Wilson wrote:
I can create a file in SQL that has formulas in it (i.e. '=A1*B1') and I can send them to my PC and open them in Excel 2002. However, the formulas are showing instead of the results. If I click inside the cell and hit Enter, I get the value instead of the formula. BUT, I want this automated and don't want a macro, so I want this to be opened to show the formula result instead of the formula without doing anything. I tried using CAST to a few other types, but that didn't work. It works if I send it as a HTML, but would prefer the xls extension, if possible. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

-Jeff