I agree with John that the native remote ability is very stable.

That being said, I have had circumstances where I was the only shared session and an abnormal end on my PC (blue screen, VPN crash) caused the session to end. The easy way to fi this is to have a session started on the HMC itself (as a shared, not dedicated, session). If that is not possible, you can also have two people start shared sessions on different PC's (preferably not sharing a network connection). So long as one PC stays up, the session will not be interrupted.

Your mileage may vary - some installs never disconnected, some exhibited the behavior I described. But in any case, if the HMC itself was logged in or if there were more than one shared session up, I never lost the session.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Jones <chianime@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Jun 17, 2009 7:27 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PCAnywhere for the HMC.

As long as you do a shared console session, the session will survive random
and intentional disconnects. I've done this from home: Connect via VPN,
start a session, start an OS upgrade (or RCLSTG or GO SAVE/21), make sure
it's at a point where it'll take a while, then close the 5250 session and
maybe close the VPN connection. Whenever I check on it, I just re-enter the
shared session password and it's as if I never left.

Shared sessions are also good (although not perfect) if you want to watch or
instruct someone else remotely. Both of you can log in and the person
observing can't see what the person leading is typing but they do get the
screen transitions and updates.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:07 AM, Lukas Beeler <