No one has mentioned in this thread the system includes - Open source file QSYSINC/QRPGLESRC and look for the member names QUSRJOBI - ba da bing!! It has all the structures you need for the fixed parts of the returned information. You have to look at the documentation in InfoCenter, in order to find out which format returns library list information - then you can /copy that member, set up some pointers, there you go.

Bruce V.'s book is about the best thing out there - he is the person, I think, who wrote the tool to generate those RPGLE copy members in the first place - Mr API at IBM when he was there. The article below on using QC2LE is extensible to any of the APIs - but you'll need to do some grunt work, just as we all have done, to get your brain around this stuff. The API Concepts book at InfoCenter is also a required requisite requirement - there, was I redundant enough?

Have fun Steve!
Vern

Adam Glauser wrote:
sjl wrote:
I could easily write a CL program and call it, but I'm trying to it the /modern/ way and I want to call the API from an RPGIV program.

You could write a CL module and bind it in to a *SRVPGM. I don't think 'modern' doesn't need to mean 'avoid CL like the plague'.

I just wish someone would translate IBM's API documentation into something that is easier to use for RPG programmers.

You're unlikely to get RPG-specific documentation specifically for each API. Frankly though, it's not _that_ hard, (except maybe for the most complex APIs) and there is a wealth of information of this topic. General information is freely available from such excellent sources as Barbara Morris[1], Susan Gantner et. al.[2] and the Midrange.com wiki[3]. You can even find worked examples[4] (many submitted by the experts that frequent this list).

For some more specific information and full (and practical!) examples, you can purchase a book like "IBM System i APIs at Work" by Bruce Vining et. al. You can even support[4] Midrange.com when you buy it. You can't ask for a better source on this topic, and this book is well worth it IMHO.

If this information doesn't answer your questions, you'll have better luck asking for help with a specific problem on RPG400-L.

[1] http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/docs/DOC-2679
[2] http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/redp4324.html
[3] http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/Using_QC2LE_procedures_in_ILE_RPG
[4] http://think400.dk/apier.htm