From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:51 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Internal domain change

Hi Jeff,

I have the following 4 names in the i's host table to refer to the i
(the i
is the DNS server):

192.168.0.1 DILGARD
I5.DILGARDFOODS.COM
DILGARDFOODS.COM
MAIL.DILGARDFOODS.COM

Names in a host table are only used by programs running on the same
computer. So if you put a name in your IBM i host table, they're only
available to programs running on that i.

This is the difference between a host table and a DNS server. Stuff put
in the DNS server is available to all computers that query that DNS
server. Stuff in the host table is not.

The reason I'm saying this: You say that these host table entries are
for Client Access, Outlook, and/or Thunderbird. That does not make
sense... those programs are PC programs, they can't possibly be
querying your IBM i host table. They could be in the PC's host table,
of course... but not your IBM i's host table.

But perhaps you meant they're in your DNS server rather than your host
table?
list