the host table on the i is not served by the i's DNS server.

The DNS server serves a completely separate set of addresses.

Charles

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Jeff Crosby<jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Obtain DNS server address automatically"

Since the i is the DNS server, does that not mean it will use the i to
resolve "mail.dilgardfoods.com", and the i will tell it "192.168.0.1"?

--
Jeff Crosby
UniPro FoodService/Dilgard
P.O. Box 13369
Ft. Wayne, IN 46868-3369
260-422-7531
www.dilgardfoods.com

company.  Unless I say so.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:23 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Internal domain change

Those names have no meaning or use for any of your clients.  What those
names allow is that FROM YOUR i you can telnet, ping, ftp, whatever to
either of those four names and still end up at 192.168.0.1.

If your windows clients truly are using your i as their dns then you
should be able to

- do this from your client
Start, Settings, Network Connections, Local Area Network, Properties and
see how it obtains the address of the DNS.  Granted I haven't quite
grasped getting the address of your DNS automatically.

- do this from your client to check out the configuration on your server.
Start, Programs System i Access for Windows, System i Navigator, Network,
Servers, DNS and actually see something in there.  We have one lpar
serving up dns for our dmz and beyond.  The rest of our DNS' are Windows
based.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108