It looks like my only alternative is to save both LF and based on
PF from the same library, restore to a temporary library on SysB,
whereas the LF is then 'crtdupobj' to the ultimate destination
library - moving it's based on relationship to that lib's
physical.

<<SNIP>>  If you think of something else, I'd appreciate it.

  By "ptf" do you PTF as in CRTPTF?  If so, then consider that
distributing database files in packaged products [RSTLICPGM] and via
PTF is not nearly as simple as for a *PGM.

no, not licensed programs. just a 3rd party software package.

3rd party software distributors can make their own licensed program
installs? I had no idea.

If so, I don't think I want to go there at this juncture.

  The IBM DB2 for i database team provided consulting for products
with regard to their packaging, installing, upgrading, and PTFing
[discouraged] of database files, to try to limit difficulties &
errors.  Difficulties would most often be encountered due to
inexperience in those features [install, packaging, upgrade, & PTF]
by product owners\fixers whose concentration was more on delivering
the function than on the install & serviceability which are too
often considered one-offs.  Packaging and coding specifically with
the design kept in mind for install, upgrades, and PTFs better
ensures the ability to effect any changes how & when they are
eventually required.  The design for the SQL catalog files in QSYS2
was an example of a horrible mess that I had to recover; today there
are likely still many systems with a bogus *PGM in QRECOVERY as a
side effect.  For software houses\developers with Partners in
Development access [PID; IIRC ibm.com/partnerworld] such a
consultancy should be sought via that channel.  I could probably
assist directly, but I would seem obtuse without detailed
information; the same type of information that a true consultancy
would require.

I'm only now learning by looking and asking the relationships and the
rules we do now, and will employ for different scenarios of version
upgrades to the package. Like I said, it's a new gig and I'm just
getting my feet wet. PID is a perfect example - I didn't even think
to ask if they're PID (they surely should be).