From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerry Adams
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 4:36 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: BRMS CPF5140 Error

Jeff,

We brought in a tech from our BP to do the actual set-up. I'm not much of
hardware person (as noted in an earlier thread today!), but the only
"hardware" thing that I remember was running an Ethernet cable from, I
think,
the T5 slot to a slot in our Cisco switch. (The tech had to fix an error
created when I first set up the 520 because I had plugged something into
T5
which he had to change to T6 - didn't take notes.)

I know that we did *not* install any cards in either the System i or the
PC's. In Service Tools you have to define a unique "device id" for each
console that you want. This is not the same thing as the device
description.
Anyway, when you set up the PC to be a console, there is a "hard-wired"
connection of sorts between the specific PC and the device id (which can
be
reset later if the PC goes completely belly up). I don't know if the
System
i writes a file to the PC to make this connection or uses the PC's mac
address or what. But it's a security feature; unlike the direct-attached
ops
console you don't want just anyone logging in and becoming a console. My
boss uses one device id and I use another one (the third one is a spare
right
now).

Obviously only one person at a time can be the console.

As for the TCP/IP being down in a restricted state, I don't know that it
is
or isn't. I do know that I have done a few Save 21's, and installed two
cume's since setting up the LAN console. During the latter, the console
does
goes "away" during the IPL, but, when it has reached the right state, it
comes back to the PC (mine) that started the IPL. I just powered down our
backup system so we could change the UPS. Did it from my desk. After the
power up, my PC was the console - but my boss could have taken it over if
he
wanted to.

I don't know how all of this stuff works, Jeff. As far as I'm concerned
it's
just PFM. The only extra hardware was the Ethernet cable that I
mentioned.
Pete, Larry, et al, would do a better job of explaining how it works. I
just
know that it beats the heck out of a twinax terminal or OPS console.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
--
B&W Wholesale