From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Massiello
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2009 1:33 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: SAVSYS & Break Messages - V5R4

Jeff,

Also, that IBM has stated that the release After V6R1 (not 6.1.1,
but the next real release) will not support Direct attach.

You are correct in your steps. You will have an address for each
NIC, I tend to make them totally different. Like if company is using
10.x.x.x on Network, then I make the Lan Console use 192.x.x.x (you get
the
idea).

Run a cat5 cable to the Ethernet port that you aren't using (if you
are using T6 for regular Ethernet traffic and nothing is using T5, then
use
T5). You go into SST, take option 8 and setup the Ethernet port with an
address on the same subnet as the LAN Console PC. Change the console from
Direct attach to Lan attach. You might have to also change the options to
allow gigabit ports and Internal ports (if you don't see those options on
V5R3, you need to get current on PTFs--- Ha ha links right into the other
message we have all been reading today on why we need to keep current on
PTFS).

Then you configure the workstation PC to also use LAN console. Now,
I always seem to have to reboot the machine (both the PC and the AS400),
even when I have tried to Activate it on the 520 in SST. It just NEVER
ever
seems to work for me. I have tried a 21, but every time I change from one
console type to another, I always seem to have to IPL the 520 for the
change
to happen. I also like to Allow Another Console to take over the
connection
(not sure of the wording, but you will see the option).
Now, here is the important part. Once I get this running, I put a
label on the back of the 520 describing which port is being used for LAN
Console, and the Ethernet address that the adapter is set to for LAN
CONSOLE.

Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions