Jeff Crosby wrote:
Per that archived post, this can be done even when
doing a full backup, including the *SAVSYS, right?

The Work Management feature for run-restricted-batch job [batch restricted state] is not limited to the BRMS product. It can be used for any function\feature that either requires or desires, to have both a restricted-state and to run unattended. If the job can run attended [i.e. an operator is present], then except for a [console] device failure [which is apparently the case for the given subject], then there would be little reason to force the function to run unattended.

The ENDSBS *ALL BHCTIMLMT() runs in a [not multi-threaded] "batch job running in the controlling subsystem, initiated from a job queue" and any remaining activity, for example the statements in a CLP following the ENDSBS request, could operate after\while the SBS status is RSTD.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/cl/endsbs.htm

In the "batch restricted state in which one batch job can be active" there is no mention nor alluding to the ability for a console job to be active concurrently. To have any other job active implies the /one/ job is not /restricted/ to the combination of that one job and system jobs.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/rzaks/rzakscontrollingsbs.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/experience/wmrstateabstract53.htm

I have never used nor coded for the feature, but I presume that the console is not even active while the SRCA9003C70 is displayed and that the termination of the batch job automatically releases the console because the controlling subsystem is then started; i.e. the device is [varied on and then] acquired by the subsystem. Like restricted state from the console, the CLP issuing STRSBS should give similar results; and if starting the controlling subsystem, then the console becoming available similarly [to when restricted batch job ends, whether due to no more work or the time limit being reached.

Regards, Chuck