Jerry,

Rob's line was simply a throw away line that was a generalization.

There is no evidence that people are seeing through scams in these tight
economic times. There are scams, sure. These are tight economic times, yes.
But no one sees through a scam any more than they did when the economic
times were loose. And Rob had a single piece of personal evidence that
'businesses' are sending their people elsewhere - someone else had to find
the real research for him.

People ~are~ spending less in hotels, and contrary to the Hogg Robinson
report, my experience has been that people are spending less in hotels
overall - no matter the size/cost of the hotel.

As for scams, they will never be noticed by the majority of the public until
after they have been got. That will never change, regardless of the economy.
Maybe a few more people will check the internet for a 'better' hotel, but
that will be for a cheaper hotel, not a scam-free hotel.

One famous hotel chain has a small checkbox on the key folder they hand you.
It says something like.. "We are going to deliver USA Today to your room.
Check here to stop delivery and remove 75c from your bill." Scam? Sure. Who
notices? Not people. And not people in tight economic times.

I bought a flight in Europe earlier this year for 5GBP. The total cost,
after adding all the scams (luggage, taxes, fees, seat assignment, oxygen,
paper for ticket, conversation with flight attendant, etc) was 57GBP. Of
course, I was not using the airlines own credit card, so it finally cost me
60GBP. Scam? Sure. Who notices? Me. Who complains? Me. Who flies again? Me.
I won't change one scam airline for another, since they all do it. A travel
scam is something that makes people complain, but not move to a cheaper
hotel.

So, yes, his conjecture amazed me, so I asked. It would definitely be a
phenomenon if people were seeing through scams in these tight economic
times. But they aren't. So it isn't.

Yet another midrange-L throwaway line (read: unqualified, speculative,
unresearched opinion) to add to the confusion. It happens. I just wanted to
know for sure.
Trevor