John Allen wrote:

There could be up to 25 jobs submitted into the JOBQ to
run at any given time

If there are only 10 jobs running at the same time,
they all run very quickly (less then a minute)

But as I increase the number of jobs running at the same
time, they slow way down (10-20 minutes each)
[snip]

This sure sounds like too many jobs for too little memory.

Either add memory to *BASE or run with the activity level at 10.

I cannot have them run single thread (or whatever 10
thread is called) I have to allow for up to 25 running
at the same time

Who said? If it is bogging the system down to run more than 10, run 10.

These jobs are running at priority 50 (because another
programmer said they were using up the system resources
and "slowing everything down")

Priority probably has little to do with the problem if it is indeed too
much paging.

Check WRKDSKSTS and see how busy things are when it is running well and
when it is running poorly. That should tell you something and also help
convince whomever it is that thinks there "must" be a level of 25 what
the level really must be.

Larry Loen
www.applicationperformancegroup.com