Greetings from sunny Florida.

I have an RPG /Free program gathering data using embedded SQL. It's
slooooow. I have 13+ million records in a file of purchase orders and I'm
assembling a list of eligible vendors in a subfile window from which to
select to display the respective PO data for that vendor. I'm using a
Select Distinct on the vendor number and joining to the vendor file to get
the vendor name. I only need to allow selection of vendors who actually
have data in this file. Once a user selects a vendor, the individual PO
records are displayed in a subfile. Both are page-at-a-time subfiles. No
need to wait for thousands of records to load in a subfile. I am using
indexed logical views of both files (PO and Vendor) to gather the records
but the initial load, understandably, is slow and takes about one minute to
load the first page. Of course, subsequent pages load instantaneously when
the page key is keyed.

How can I speed up performance of my SQL? Would doing a Select Distinct on
the single PO file, then chaining to get the vendor name as needed speed
things up? I will probably try that in the morning just to see what it
does. But if you have any tips to improve my speed, send them on, please.

Thanks,

Robert Munday
Munday Software Consultants
Montgomery, AL