Hi,

Patrick,
... If it's going to take you 36-hours to download the recovery data from the cloud, can my business survive with this system. If that is possible, then move forward. If not, then another solution may be needed. ...

We are not time-critical. If we are down 24-48 hours it is a major inconvenience, but not a disaster. Thus we can "leisurely" get in the replacement system, if necessary, and that may be a hotter puter. Then make sure the OpSys is up, and then restore files and program libraries. If the current system is fine we can wait for the IBM techie repair, then do whatever reinstalls.

Some support companies of course are more foreward in promising quick uptime and get more actively involved in the process, for us this is not so important, and you pay for the privilege. With IBM doing their remote hardware monitoring ("we will be in next week, your battery is getting low") and with our being in a generally solid environment, downtime is rare, crashes very rare (the last one I remember was a System 36 about a decade or more ago).

And in fact, we may well use the tape backup rather than the cloud.
The purpose of the cloud is simple for us, redundancy.

When I posted originally, I had thought maybe we had a bunch of tidbits from folks using eVault or Asigra or home-grown methods of cloud backup of their iSeries and other networks. Or other ideas. And this would be a good place to compare notes. After all this Net backup is a modest-size industry, it makes some sense these days, and iSeries-specific software is a specialized niche.

Steven Spencer
Queens, NY