From: CRPence <CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: V5R3 RSTSTG warning if moving to larger disks
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Neil Palmer wrote:
If you were thinking of using SAVSTG/RSTSTG on V5R3, to move to
larger disks (swap out 8.5GB drives, swap in 17.5GB or larger, to
allow installation of V5R4 - probably something quite a few
people may think of doing), then a word of advice.  DON'T.You
will go through the entire process of SAVSTG, restoring LIC to
the new load source, running the RSTSTG from DST, and all will
appear successful through the end of the LIC IPL, UNTIL it hits
the very last piece "Start the Operating System".  At which point
it will crash with:B6000417 0DB00060 And no, trying to SLIP
install the Operating System from a SAVSYS tape will not resolve
the problem, merely change the SRC code when you hit "Start the
Operating System" to:B9003440 0DB00080  Apparently I was only the
2nd person to hit this problem when I found it last weekend, less
than seven days after the first poor sucker, so when I searched
for open APAR's to check this was safe to use before running I
didn't find any as at the time APAR MA37764 was not publicly
viewable (it is now). Apparently IBM thinks closing the APAR as a
Permanent Restriction without issuing a fixing PTF for V5R3 is
acceptable.  I don't.
http://www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4apar.nsf/c79815e083182fec862564c00079d117/0464abaf5c4aae678625759f003c6fc7

   I was going to ask if v5r3m5 LIC might give resolution [i.e. the
LIC level to support more\newer hardware].  However the /Release(s)/
in the APAR suggest the affected releases include all since the
reported release.  I am pretty sure we did some similar upgrades in
the lab, even if not on v5r3m0 LIC.  Perhaps it would be worth
clarifying their understanding of, on which releases the problem
remains since v5r3; are they really suggesting the problem remains
in v5r3m5, or is the affected releases listed merely a side effect
of the APAR close process, such that final update\close of the APAR
internally at IBM might be updated with more accurate details.

   FWiW: The closing code for the APAR is PER [Program ERror]
according to the given link.  That closing code indicates that IBM
will be providing a fix for the reported release; and by convention,
follow-on releases.  The closing code of PRS would indicate
/Permanent ReStriction/.  Perhaps you should ask them about that
difference, between what apparently was their verbal reply [i.e.
PRS] and the closing status reported in the APAR [i.e. PER] on the web.

Regards, Chuck

http://www.flickr.com/gift/