From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 2:42 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Save While Active Question

If you use *SYSDFN then you can do this. However you need to be aware of
some facts. The first and foremost is that data will not be in sync on
your save. For example, if your transaction writes out to both the
ORDHEAD and ORDLINE your save may have the update on the ORDHEAD but not
the update on ORDLINE. You are not using a "checkpoint". This can make
your restores much more confusing, or you can cross your fingers and trust
to luck. Here, they adopted the "cross your fingers and trust to luck"
despite my objections.
Send the email with a bcc to yourself. Keep the reply saying they are
aware of the risks but do it anyway. Print them, take the copies home.
Forget about it.

Sample transaction.
Was:
ORDHEAD
OrderNumber = 1
WeightOfOrder = 100
ORDLINE
OrderNumber = 1
OrderLine = 1
WeightLine = 75
OrderNumber = 1
OrderLine = 2
WeightLine = 25
Update occurs. Added line 3 of 15 weight.
Write out new line.
Save occurs.
Write out updated header.
Disaster occurs.
Restore data. Now have
ORDHEAD
OrderNumber = 1
WeightOfOrder = 100
ORDLINE
OrderNumber = 1
OrderLine = 1
WeightLine = 75
OrderNumber = 1
OrderLine = 2
WeightLine = 25
OrderLine = 3
WeightLine = 15
Notice how the weights do not add up? 75 + 25 + 15 <>100

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E