From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of johnking@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:53 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Question about transferring license from Help Systems

Jerry,

That has been our experience, too. I've had few reasons to call since
the ASC
company was purchased by Help Systems, but all through the '90s and well
into
this decade their products have performed well and their tech support
has been
top-notch.

I don't want this thread to drift into a non-technical area, but this
situation
has made me aware of how vulnerable a company can be if license
agreements aren't
aggressively negotiated. A gentleman from Help Systems' marketing
department is
apparently monitoring this list and just called my office to help
explain their
position. He said that the license agreement states that the software is
non-transferable and that they were actually giving our new owners a
good deal by
only charging a $2000 fee to transfer the Sequel and Abstract programs.
Oh, and
by the way, we'll also have to start over on a new annual maintenance
agreement...

It is all very legal, but it seems pretty predatory to me. It is the
same staff,
running the same programs on the same box, but it somehow costs an
additional
$5000 since the company letterhead changed. If I were a salesman I
wouldn't be
able to sleep at night.

Caveat Emptor.

JK

On Thu 09/04/16 14:58 , Jerry Draper sent:
I have worked with Help Systems for years and my customers utilize
their
Schedule, Console, and Alert products extensively.

Their code works well and their tech support is about the best I've
ever
encountered. I always get a person who knows the product I have a
question about.

I can't speak to this licensing situation but it certainly doesn't
seem
congruent with what I know about Help Systems.

Jerry

All,

Our little service bureau was recently purchased and we
have run into a> problem
while transferring licenses to the new
ownership.>
At the beginning of 2009, the original company renewed
the maintenance> agreement
for the "Sequel" and "Abstract" programs that are
integral to the> application. I
was just informed that the salesperson at Help Systems
has not only> refused to
transfer the maintenance agreement to the new company,
but is also> insisting on a
complete re-purchase of both products.

We expected there would be some sort of fee to transfer
the license but> were
quite surprised to hear this. It seems a rather shabby
way to treat a> customer of
more than fifteen years.

Question: Is this normal behavior or is someone at Help
Systems> desperate to make
their quarterly sales quota?

Many thanks, JK

---- Msg sent via Internet America Webmail - www.internetamerica.com