That's the whole objective with the two separate power supplies. In my previous job, all of our servers, switches, etc... had two power supplies and
each power supply was hooked into each side of a rack cabinet. Each power strip on the opposite sides of the cabinet were hooked into different power
grids. Each of those "grids" had a VERY large UPS that drove multiple boxes. I believe in one of our data center's there were about 6 of those
industrial size UPS power conditioner/filters and if we lost one of those UPS's, the datacenter wouldn't even notice. Multiple redundancies can be
built in, it all depends on just how important your equipment and data is. This nice thing is that your server has the first critical piece of this
portion of multiple power redundancies already built in.

Also, for that guy that was talking about building a server rack using particle board and creating a ton of dust. I'm sure he was referring to MDF,
Medium Density Fiberboard. That stuff is like having a 3/4 inch thick brown paper bag. It's incredibly strong, that is until it gets wet, and then
it swells up like 50,000% and turns to mush. Keep it dry and that stuff could hold a rack of servers. But now we're back to the same question, how
much time are you willing to spend on building this rack? I've honestly seen very decent used racks for as cheap as $200. Shop around and you may be
able to find 4 or 5 for a bargain of $1K -$2K with power cords and extra hardware. Just be sure you know what you're looking at and what you need.
Try to find one were the internal vertical rails are adjustable from front to back and maybe one with a couple of sets of vertical rails in case some
servers are shallow and some are deep. Usually 25" to 29" deep are normal standards. Our black box racks we had in my last job had adjustable rails
so we set the front rail and adjusted the two rear rails for different depths. The IBM racks use round holes and all of the ones we have are all 28"
deep, rail to rail. Our HP racks are normally 29" deep. I've seen plenty of generic racks with 25" between the front and rear rails. If you want a
generic rack, shop for the ones with the sqaure holes and get yourself a kit of those clip in nut plates. The 520 Power5+ that we just unracked to
move it to another data center has a locking mechanism to connect it to the back rack rail. You can use that in both the round and square hole rails,
you'll have to bolt the front of the server rails into the rack rail. One or two bolts is sufficient. By all means, avoid any rack that has the
threaded rails. You'd think that would make things easier for mounting things, but trust me, they aren't. You strip threads, seize screws, and a lot
of rails don't work on them, correction most do not work with threaded rails.

Good luck,
Bill Epperson Jr.
Systems Communications Analyst
Memorial Health System
(719) 365-8831

rob@xxxxxxxxx

Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx To
cc
04/09/2009 09:38
Subject
Re: 2 power connections on the back panel, Re: Rack-mountable 520 without
Please respond to a rack?
Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

And, since I believe James runs with two UPS's, he will be in an ideal
situation to put one on one power supply and one on the other.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E