That got me pointed in the right direction. The old CLP doesn't work but I am now able to direct the OUTPUT to a PRTF with some minor changes.

Thanks for you help.
Jim

--- On Wed, 4/8/09, CRPence <CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: CRPence <CRPbottle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Strange FTP problem
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, April 8, 2009, 4:40 PM
AFaIK FTP log output has always intended to use the file
name OUTPUT.
With one minor anomaly [i.e. text stating "output
redirected" goes
missing] the name STDOUT is also supported [since at least
v5r3] to be
overridden. There is a known error scenario whereby _no
output_ would
be produced, but it would require to have active also, an
OVRDBF OUTPUT
TOFILE(QPRINT) w/in the job in the noted scenario. That
problem never
became an APAR, though I am unsure why [because it was such
an odd
scenario?].

The original code\test\documentation for FTP
only ever used OVRDBF
OUTPUT to a [source] physical file. They apparently never
contemplated
PRTF output using OVRPRTF.? I know Vern has several times
recommended
that OVRPRTF OUTPUT could be used, as well as others; I
have always
coded mine that way:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ovrprtf+ovrdbf+site%3Aonbedo.com

The /was working/ case is curious, but to have always
worked, I would
have expected that probably the requests should have always
been:

CRTPRTF FILE(QTEMP/FTPTEST) HOLD(*YES)
SAVE(*YES)
OVRPRTF FILE(OUTPUT) TOFILE(FTPTEST)

I would expect however that the following would have
been even more
appropriate, given the system-supplied program described
printer file
QSYSPRT [or QPRINT?] could be used to avoid creating a
printer file:

/* no crtprtf; use an exiting printer file */
OVRPRTF FILE(OUTPUT) TOFILE(QSYSPRT)
SPLFNAME(FTPTEST)
HOLD(*YES) SAVE(*YES) OVRSCOPE(*CALLLVL)

Regards, Chuck

Michael Ryan wrote:

I didn't know that FTP generated QPRINT output.

jim t wrote:

This is what was working in the program:

CRTPRTF FILE(QTEMP/FTPTEST) HOLD(*YES)
SAVE(*YES)
OVRPRTF FILE(QPRINT) TOFILE(FTPTEST)

I would see the log in the spool file.

I have just added:

CRTPF FILE(QTEMP/FTPTST) RCDLEN(198)
OVRDBF FILE(OUTPUT)
TOFILE(QTEMP/FTPTST) MBR(FTPTST)
CPYF FROMFILE(QTEMP/FTPTST)
TOFILE(*PRINT) +
FROMMBR(FTPTST) OUTFMT(*CHAR)

I can now see the info in a spool file, so I know
that the log
information does exist, but it doesn't explain
why the
CRTPRTF FILE(QTEMP/FTPTEST) HOLD(*YES)
SAVE(*YES)
no longer works.

<<SNIP>>

--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion