Remember "Expert Information Systems" or some such nomenclature? Basically
there were supposed to capture "if this situation is happening then do..."
kind of stuff.
Paper version was IBM's Problem Determination Steps. I think that is now
on the internet and might be adaptable as a good learning tool.
We also use a Notes based help desk software to track tickets. The theory
being that if I user calls up and the help desk person took the time to
create a ticket then we could search tickets for answers. Ticket analysis
can turn up some interesting things. Like for us a vast majority of
tickets are forgotten passwords. To solve that we are looking as software
to manage passwords, using challenge questions and the like to allow the
users to reset their own passwords. You may also find that a particular
job blows up on occasion with message xxx like our backup when it
encounters the frequent damaged objects. At this point you may wish to
look at messaging software that will allow the backup to continue and send
a message to someone to deal with the damaged object.