From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:59 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: *Backlevel

Traditionally what happens in that case is that they got a new box at a
release higher than their old box and restored a few libraries and stuff
(screw the Backup and Recovery Guide) and got themselves into that
situation.

*BACKLEVEL
... To correct this problem, install a current release of this product.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/rzahc/rzahcswins

tallprocess.htm#rzahcswinstallprocess
I am thinking that you may get by with selecting "Replacing Licensed
Internal Code and i5/OS of the same version and release". What do others
say? Is there a concern, like an IBM internal file conversion that needs
to happed from, let's say V5R3, to V5R4 that won't happen if they select
this method?

After doing that I'd apply the latest cume, groups, and what not.

If you're doing this I'd also recommend going to V5R4M5 instead of M0.
This will make you readier for newer hardware.
In case your frisbees are old you may want to check for refreshes.
http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/resave/v5r4.html
The M5 stuff is near the bottom.