From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Wiant
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 2:02 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Green Screen (Dumb Terminal) Email Client for System i

I'm late in the thread so forgive what might have already been offered...,
and yeah - I couldn't resist the overall debate.

Give me a command line and a 'dumb' terminal anytime. I can get more done
with a simple interface than can be done with a fancy one.

I can out-type anyone clicking, dragging and dropping. GUI interfaces are
best for those who basically don't know how the system actually works, and
don't know how to talk to it.

The number of times I've re-booted my GUI interface can't be counted. But
I've never had a 5250 session fail unless the host went down. It's too bad
I'm forced to work through windows to get to my 5250 emulation. I'd rather
be directly connected and have less layers between me.

'The best tool for the job' is usually what's forgotten. Do you have an Exec
that likes graphs? Fire up the right tool. Want to get something _really_
done - talk to the computer in it's terms, through the simplest interface
possible. Especially, when it's as stable as the 5250.

I'm looking forward to all the counter responses that think computers
_started_ with Windows and GUI type interfaces. I was programming horizontal
and vertical blank interrupt routines directly into the Rockwell 6502
processor (on the Atari 800) in the 70's and I managed to increase the
system output by approx 20% - and it was all command line. I'd like to see
anyone drag-and-drop that.

I've seen a company throw away a stable supported architecture (5250 IBM) in
favor of a mass of servers and networks and interfaces and laptops. All
that's happened is that that company has more complexity, more problems, and
higher power bills. No real output or performance increase has been
achieved. My compliments to Nathan who pointed out that (again -sorry) the
Best tool for the job is what is always warranted. Get out of your comfort
zone and solitaire playing, and come back to the computer 'real world'.

Best wishes

Jim

p.s Yup, wish I could stay in Linux/Unix too. Someday I'll write my own. It
might even rival SLOTH (special language with one verb - sleep)

Quality means doing the right thing when no one is looking
Henry Ford