Why can't he just turn 'auto-config' on and let the 400 do the config for him. He can the remove the old one and make changes to the new device.
William Moore

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kirk Goins
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:39 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Tape hardware resources

rick baird wrote:
Hey all,

I've got a client who had to replace a tape drive and I don't think
it's configured right. It's been years since I did any of this, and
have a question or two.

I believe the problem is with the hardware resource. I did WRKHDWRSC
*STG and it lists:

Resource Type-model Status Text
CMB01 2844-001 Operational Combined function IOP
DC01 2757-001 Operational Storage Controller
DC03 5704-001 Operational Tape Controller
TAPMLB03 3582-001 Operational Tape Library

TAPMLB03 is not the old tape library name, the device is not a
3582-001, it's a 3580-002.

I want to get rid of this and add the old tape library name and device
model back.

Browsing the manuals, i found 'Remove or replace a non-reporting
resource', wanting me to run service tools (STRSST) to remove the
offending tape library.

Before I ask them to give me authority to do that, am I on the right
track? once I remove it, how do I add the correct one back?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

#1 Looks like you might need a PTF id a single cart ( non-autoloader ) reports in as Tape Library ( autoloader ).
#2 The key here is 'non-reporting'..right now it is reporting. I think you'll have to IPL with the drive OFF to get it non-reporting
#3 Also If there is room, I'd move the 5704 off the same IOP as any disk controller. backups should run much faster