What you want ideally is that the smallest subset of jobs process all the
requests but it doesn't work that way. It will go to B even if B has been
swapped to disk and A is available because B got there first.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Albert York <albertyork@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why does it make a difference which job processes the request?

Albert

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Campin" <alan0307d@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Multiple Jobs reading from same data queue-who's turn is it?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:17:33 -0600

Just went through this. Wrote a test program to prove it.

Given 3 jobs running. A B C requests will always be processed A B C.
Based
on which job gets to the queue first.

What I wanted was A to always get the request if it was available but it
doesn't work that way. Even if A is available B will be the next one to
get
the work and then C and back to A. That order could change based on how
long
a request took a job. I wanted a way to keep A as busy as possible but
could
find no way to make it happen.