That was my understanding - it's bidirectional.

jrperkinsjr@xxxxxxxxx 03/11/2009 3:14:09 PM >>>
David,
I was under the same impression you were too. I re-read the V5R4
documentation and found the last sentence interesting.
Quote from the V5R4 reference guide:
"For example, use *CL when prototyping an RPG procedure that is to be
called
by a CL procedure when the return value is 1A. "

Full quote from the V5R4 reference guide:
"Specifies an external procedure that is written in ILE CL, or an RPG
procedure to be called by ILE CL. Use *CL if your program uses return
values
with data types that CL handles differently from RPG. For example, use
*CL
when prototyping an RPG procedure that is to be called by a CL procedure
when the return value is 1A. "

References URL's:
http://tinyurl.com/aokcyf
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/books_web/c0925086360.htm