From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:38 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Disk upgrade with no downtime - possible? Follow up question

Thanks Kirk. That was what I needed.

(I may be needing Dr. Franken at this point) I was told by this customer that the expansion unit was full. That is, there wasn't any room to stick 5 additional drives into the unit. However, when I go to the expansion unit itself and open each of the cages, there is one cage that is completely empty and two others that have 5 slots open in total. So, the question is: How do I find out what controller these "cages" are connected to? I am guessing that they are allocated to the production side but if I can see what is allocated to each partition, I might be able to stuff these 5 drives into the remaining cage and add it to the LPAR (if it hasn't been) and then just create a new parity set.

I can print out a rack config I guess but it would be great to see a "map" and understand how the hardware is allocated to each LPAR. Is there a way to do that? Can the HMC do that for me?

Pete
OK... Got to be carefull here... For i5 OS partitions at 5.4 and below, disk is allocated by the Disk Controller. ie All Disks on controller 'A' will be in the same i5 OS Partition. Depending on the card in use etc there may not be anymore slots available for this partition. So at this point we need to know the system model, expansion model(s) and a rackcfg of this partition.