How about two parity sets ? One with 5 4326 and one with 5 4327's? I know I couldn't do them piecemeal, but if I did a save option 21 and then rebuilt the raid sets with the larger drives and then restored would that work?

Sounds like I can't do it without taking the LPAR offline but that was plan "B" anyway. My next issue would be: "Can I use the 5 - 70GB drives in this LPAR or do I now need to replace all 10 drives to make use of larger drives?

Pete

Kirk Goins wrote:
Pete Helgren wrote:
Seems like I have either asked or seen this before but I am planning to upgrade 5 out of 10 disks allocated to an LPAR which is currently at 86%. My goal is to hopefully replace the drives while the partition is active so the question is: Can I replace the drives one at a time and just allow RAID-5 to rebuild the drives?

The info center for V5R4 says this:

"A disk unit that is running with device parity protection can be exchanged only if it has failed. A disk unit running with device parity protection cannot be replaced with a non-configured disk even if it has failed."

So it sounds like I *can't* do it.

Any pointers here? Seems like I should be able to just replace each disk one at a time and let then it rebuild before replacing the next one, but having only replaced truly failed drives, I am in uncharted territory.

The existing drives are model 4326 type 072 (30GB) and I plan to replace them with 4327 (70GB). V5R4M0 9406 520

Pete

Pete, this isn't going to work. #1 All drives in a Raid Set Must be the Same Size, so you can't 'upgrade' this way. #2 At least in the past doing Concurrent Maint Drive swaps I'e had problem with the LIC/OS getting confused if I pulled 1 size drive and inserted another.