From: John McKee <jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 2:27 pm
Subject: Expect scripting error

Following Scott' examples, I have been trying to get a script to connect to a
remote site for sftp. It isn't working right, but, at least, it is not locking
up the remote system either.

First, from working with scripting in the past, I assumed that the search
pattern does not have to be the entire string. In this case, the remote site
sends back a rather long user name, followed by 's password:. I have tried
running this with the entire user name as well as just password:.

I get the same error each time. My first thought is that something else is
missing.

Anyway, this is what I receive in stderr:

spawn: returns {494}

expect: does "" (spawn_id exp3) match glob pattern "password:"? no

expect: does "sh: /usr/local/bin/stty: not found.\r\n" (spawn_id ex

expect: does "sh: /usr/local/bin/stty: not found.\r\nConnecting to

expect: does "sh: /usr/local/bin/stty: not found.\r\nConnecting to

expect: does "sh: /usr/local/bin/stty: not found.\r\nConnecting to
expect: timed out

My questions:
1) I have logged in manually, and I can confirm that the trainilg part of the
password prompt is indeed password:. So what is the expect trying to tell me
when it tates that the pattern does not match?

2) Notice a little further down the not found related to /usr/local/bin/stty? I
have Cygwin on my desktop. Looking for stty, it is in /usr/bin. But, even
looking there on the i, I do not see it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

John McKee