Nathan Andelin wrote:
From: Hans Boldt
You can't just compare RPG IV with Java and C#. The
real action is happening in ... Python and Ruby.

Now we (RPG programmers) are feeling picked on <smile>.

My intention was not to pick on anyone. However, for anyone who sees
what's happening in the wider community, the current situation must be
fairly obvious.

I recently wrapped up a RPG based Web application which is somewhat comparable to Google Calendar, but which I prefer. The application called for some of logic which I thought RPG was remarkably well suited for. In fact, I mused how it might be implemented in a different language.

So if anyone would like to compare, I'd be willing to show the RPG code, after one or more persons showed an implementation in their language of choice.

At 10 minute intervals, the browser polls the RPG program asynchronously (using AJAX), requesting a list of scheduled events that have an "alert" scheduled within the next 10 minutes. In this case, an "alert" is a popup - showing the scheduled events.

Here's the catch. A user can schedule an "alert" sometime prior to the scheduled event (meeting, appointment, call, whatever) AND at some interval THEREAFTER.

For example, a meeting may be scheduled at 3:00 pm. with an alert scheduled at 1 hour before, and every 20 minutes thereafter. The DB record has the following layout:

-Calendar ID (string)
-Event Date (date)
-Event Time (time)
-Event Description (string)
-Alert Flag (bool)
-Alert Hours Before (number)
-Alert Minutes Before (number)
-Alert Minutes Thereafter (number)
-A few other fields

So what logic might be used to generate a list of "alerts" scheduled within the next 10 minutes, given calendar ID and timestamp, which are passed as parameters from the browser?

The following screen-shots may illustrate the data and application.

http://www.radile.com/rdweb/temp/cal100.html

Hmmmm, I'm sure that could be implemented with a single SQL query of not
a great deal of complexity.

;-)

Cheers! Hans