Albert York wrote:
Is there a way to retrieve the I/P address of a TCP/IP interface and the address of the next hop of a route into a C/L program?

Albert:

Bear with me... I'm not the best at this.

Can you describe this more fully? As I look at things, I pretty much think it like "an I/P address _is_ a TCP/IP interface." That is, if you prompt the ADDTCPIFC command, the first key parameter is the IP address.

So, in order to know _which_ interface to obtain the IP address from, you'd supply... the IP address.

Okay, so that makes me think that you're looking for an IP address that's associated with a line description. But there can be a number of them (can't recall how many). Which one would you want? Well, again, you'd request by supplying... the IP address.

Okay, so that makes me think that perhaps you want to know what "this system's" IP address is. Except, of course, a system can have many line descriptions and those can have multiple IP addresses...

So, best guess is that you want to know the IP address that is associated with the host.domain that is configured in option 12 (Change TCP/IP domain information) of the CFGTCP menu.

Sound close?

AFAIK, there are at least three ways -- the QtocRtvTCPA API, the normal DNS-related APIs and the files in QUSRSYS (that probably really shouldn't be used.)

QtocRtvTCPA is essentially an AS/400-specific IBM-supplied way of doing some of this stuff. The DNS APIs would be how it probably should be done in more or less 'industry-standard' ways. The files -- well, who knows what formats they might be in next month or how often their contents might be updated in future releases?

One other potential way might come from Scott Klement. And it will probably be the _right_ way.

If that doesn't happen, then I can probably help with some details.

Tom Liotta