From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jerry Adams
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:12 PM
To: Midrange-L (midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Subject: Restricting Excel Uploads to System i

I want to prevent users from using the Excel Add-In from System i
Navigator to upload data from a spreadsheet to the i. I searched the
archives and found steps from Rob and Paul about how to use iNav's
Application Administration function to do this.

As a test, I selected our test box and unchecked both the "Default
Access" and "All Object Access" boxes for the 'Upload to System' on the
'Client Applications' tab. I was still able to upload a spreadsheet to
this iBox. I do have *ALLOBJ authority on the system, but, as I said, I
unchecked that box and pressed the OK button. So it shouldn't have
allowed even me to perform an upload, right?

I even took the additional step later to customize the 'Excel Add-In
Uploads' function to specifically deny me access. I was still able to
do the upload to the i.

Couldn't find anything in Info Center that seemed to apply; in fact, it
leads me down the same path. I'm missing something somewhere somehow.
Any hints, swag, or answers would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jerry C. Adams