On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 18:22, Alfredo Delgado
<adelgado@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 10:22, Lukas Beeler <lukas.beeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
there are some silly
tacked-on ideas like PHP and MySQL on the i
Pot

No. You could also extend 5250 or create a new protocol to deliver
full, native graphical apps to clients, or extend RPG to offer easier
CGI applications with a full, IBM approved framework. This is, IMO,
because IBM has given up on people that are using RPG to get modern.
But this is not true - there are non-official ways to deliver CGI
using RPG (CGIDEV and others), and there are companies like mine that
wrote their own 5250-like protocol to deliver the full spectrum of a
locally running app while still retaining all the advantages that
having all your business logic on the i has (i believe there are also
other solutions that do the same, but none of them are from IBM).

Running PHP and MySQL on the i makes little sense - most of the
available PHP/MySQL applications are not supported on the i, also
running them on x86 Linux would be cheaper and faster - and they still
can get all their important data from the i.

Also, PHP and MySQL doesn't take advantage of the features the i is
known for - like the excellent job management and the fully integrated
database.

There are other tacked-on features, like QU2. Which just wasn't made
to work very well on the i. I remember installing it right after
release - it was a giant mess that didn't work right and the
performance was abysmal. Maybe things have improved by now, but it
just shows that IBM does not invest as much in the i as it could - QU2
was just paying lip service.

Or, who on this list is no longer using QU1, instead using only QU2?