From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Earl
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2009 2:29 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: I will stop calling it an AS/400 when . . . [ this condition is met ]

-When IBM renamed it the "iSeries", I stopped calling it an "AS/400".

-When IBM renamed it the "i5", I had to do a little juggling act and
call it the "i5", FKA the "iSeries", and sometimes I would have to say
it was FKA the "AS/400".

-When IBM renamed it the "System i", I had to do a even more juggling,
so I called it the "System i" FKA the "iSeries", FKA the "AS/400". I
just dropped the "i5" thing altogether because apparently not even IBM
believed in that name.

-When IBM renamed it the un-googleable "i", "i" tried to call it that
name, but "i" found that no-one understood what "i" was talking about
and customers and prospects didn't thought they ran an "AS/400".

-Given that "i" have little confidence that someone at IBM won't rename
this architecture again, I have reverted back to calling it the
"AS/400". It's the only way I can be sure to be understood.

-So for me it is not a matter of when will I stop calling it the AS/400,
rather it is a matter of when I was compelled to restart calling it an
"AS/400".

jte

--
John Earl