You're going to get the whole gamut of responses from "We're running V3R1
just fine" to "gloom and doom".

I like to stay current.

Some vendors do not support older versions. For example if you find a bug
with printing 1099 forms and they send you a fix it may not be able to be
restored if they compiled it to V5R4 or above. If you are in this
predicament will you be able to hurry and upgrade then and now? Or, will
you type up 1099 forms by hand? Let's say the government reformats the
layout of W2's at year end. And you need a fix from your software vendor
to address it.

Some may think "If it's not broke, why fix it?". The problem is they may
not know it's broke. There may be security patches put on newer releases
to fix issues such as internet hacks. If IBM puts out "PTFs" or fixes for
a release to address some of these issues then they won't issue a fix for
a version of the OS that is not supported.

Does your current hardware support V5R4? If so, then why not upgrade to
that?
http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/upgrade/v5r4/hardware.html

I'd even consider upgrading to V5R4M5. This will make it easier to
migrate to the new hardware. I believe all the newest hardware currently
out there supports V5R4M5.