From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:27 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Tracking the average time jobs are waiting in the queue

In a previous life (Elvis remembers) I did quite a bit or work with the
QHST data - DSPLOG on the 2 messages given in another post might be
enough, although the results are not in a record format.

I just tried a SBMJOB and did not see the CPC1236 in the log - ah, it
seems to be related to the job scheduler - it does not show up for
simple SBMJOB command usage. I do not recommend its use.

There are the CPF1124 and CPF1164 for start and end of jobs. The output
of DSPLOG does not show anywhere near the information that is in the
CPF1124, nor the CPF1164.

The text for the messages does indicate when a job entered, as well as
when it started. It does not tell you whether it is a batch job or
otherwise. Not even if you use *PRTSECLVL for more information in the
output.

You have to go to the QHST* files for this information - it IS recorded
there. You can get information on the layout of those records in CL
Programming manual and in Work Management, as I recall. Both have some
of the same information, each manual has some additional information.

NOTE: (Thanks to Al Barsa for this information) The names of the QHST*
files are described as QHST plus 5-digit so-called Julian date plus an
alphanumeric character. This does NOT give the order of the entries -
when the alphanumeric characters run out, the "date" is incremented or
otherwise changed. The order is actually to be found in the text
description of each file, which gives the date/time range for the
entries in each respective file. I found it useful to use the QUSLOBJ
API into a user space, then sort with qsort on the text description.

Do take a look at those manuals, find the layout the respective
messages, and see what you need to do.

HTH
Vern

Chris Bipes wrote:
DSPLOG shows CPC1236 submitted and CPF1124 Started. So it is
recorded
but how to capture it and analyze the data is beyond my time to
research. But I would also like to know a solution.

Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services
CrossCheck, Inc.